Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

River Cottage Bread- Focaccia

I have three school lunches to pack every weekday so it is not surprising that I use quite a bit of bread. I do buy bread but I truly love the aroma and taste of homemade bread. It is particularly good still warm from the oven and in fact very hard to resist. Last year I purchased the River Cottage Bread cookbook. I am a fan of the River Cottage programs and one day when I make it to the UK, I would love to have a visit there. Until then though, I am satisfied with DVDs and books. The bread book is in the handbook series and is a good size with plenty of how-to information as well as recipes. I have made a few different things from the book and I am intending on making them all.


To accompany a minestrone soup I made last week, I made the focaccia. As I am trying to follow the recipes correctly that is I am not cooking in my usual way of tweaking the recipe, I used salt on top of the bread. This was the only thing I didn't like about the bread. I don't eat salt so it was over-powering for me but not the others at Sunny Corner Farm. I can vouch that this recipe turns out a treat and as with most bread and baking in general, is greater than the sum of its parts. A crust with crunch and a light bready centre and the rosemary on top...delicious.


Tracy



3 comments:

mashelly said...

Sounds yummy

Lisa said...

I'm not a salt lover, either. But it sounds nice. And, they have DVDs, do they? I'll have to look them up.

Vickie said...

hmmm sure looks tatsy, you family is blessed to have you preparing such goodness for them,cheers Vickie