Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

'WInter' gardening

Not much goes on in the winter garden. A little bit of weed removal but mostly just waiting for the brassica plants to bear there deliciousness and try very hard to wait for enough snow peas for a meal. Really just a lot of observing and planning.
This morning on my turn around the vegetable patch, the Roi de Carouby snow peas were looking forlorn. The very wet weather we have had during the last month has knocked them down from the trellis.

The broccoli plants are growing well. I think the wet weather has kept the dreaded cabbage moth away (for now).
My asparagus are showing their heads early this year. I'm not sure if this means that spring is on its way early this year or if our weather patterns are changing and this will become the norm. All I can do is pick it and enjoy it and do my best in my part of the world for our Earth.

My favourite of the mornings walk though was this gorgeous heartsease. They come up year after year and are so jolly and sweet. I'm enjoying this break from the hard work of summer in the garden but I am very much looking forward to spring planting time and summer harvests.
Tracy

5 comments:

Jodie said...

Gorgeous garden pictures Tracy!!!
Not long now until the weather warms up and the vegie patch really gets a chance to shine..

Hugs - Jodie :)

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

There is nothing like a vegie patch!!!
How awesome to grow asparagus!!!! I have never tried it....Love to wat it though

Tania said...

Your garden is looking far better than mine. I tend to neglect ours over Winter. Love the flower picture, and the asparagus looks interesting.

Bring on Spring I say,

Tania

Blore said...

We ate our first broccoli from the garden this week - much better than shop bought ones, although it was a little on the small side. Love the asparagus.

Ruth @ Camellia Rose said...

Don't you just love pansies? They really cheer me up on a cold winters day!