Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Earl Grey Tea Cake

As noted yesterday, I made an Earl Grey Tea Cake. It is a moist fruity cake but not as dense as regular fruit cakes. Don't let the idea of the tea put you off, it really doesn't overpower the fruit flavours. It does make the dried fruit very plump and delicious. The kids weren't keen on it but maybe because it is a fruit cake I would have to sell it a little harder maybe warm with custard. That usually works. It could also be that it isn't an overly pretty cake, just wholesome.
Earl Grey Tea Cake
Ingredients
150 grams butter
190 grams brown sugar
1 cup strong Earl grey Tea
250 grams mixed driend fruit
215 grams self raising flour
1 egg
Method
Grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
Place the butter., tea, sugar and mixed fruit in a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 5 minutes.
Cool for a few minutes.
Stir in flour and egg.
Pour into tin and bake for about 80 minutes.
Cool in the tin.

I rarely wait for the mixture to cool properly, I just let it cool enough to stop the egg from cooking when stirred in. I think the secret to the cakes moistness is boiling the fruit.

Now I am cooking a cheesecake and a slow-cooked lamb with harissa, dates and cinnamon. My son is coming home after a week at leadership camp so he will be mighty hungry. They probably only had bbq all week.
Tracy

2 comments:

Lilbitbrit said...

Sounds so good. I will have to try it. I love fruit cake being brought up in the UK, but here in the USA, fruit cake is most unpopular. So either I make it myself, or my friend from Tobago brings me back a delicious rum fruit cake.

Christy
Lil Bit Brit

Blore said...

Looks yummo Trace, although regular tea cake sprinkled with cinnamon sugar always gets eaten here!