Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Autumnal

The nights are now lovely and cool and some of the days are really quite autumnal (not today, it was 35degC). And the poor performing summer garden is in the past. The chillies that outshone everything can keep on shining until the frost finishes them off...  or not.
 

 I am enjoying the shorter day lengths, getting up in the mornings before everyone else, lighting a candle and having a cup of tea is one of my favourite times of the day. I can think or not, plan my day or just pat the cat. And there is a cosiness when it gets dark earlier.

I have been planning what to plant or sow now in the garden. Of course I have made a list.


In the summer I plant my garden with a hot-temperate climate in mind but when it switches to the cooler weather, we are more of the cool/mountainous climate being 800+ metres above sea level. Plenty of very cold days, frosts and sometimes light snow. But unlike other parts of the world, there is never a real fallow period in our garden which is both a blessing and a curse.

I should make a list for the flower seeds and plants too. Tomorrow.

I like having plenty to do.
Tracy

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have weeded our vegie patches today. I suppose that is a start towards planting. We had a little bit of rain last night, only 2.0 mls but that was better than nothing. We haven't had decent rain since last year. We have had such an incredibly long hot summer that seems to be never ending. I gave up trying to keep things alive in the vegie patch just after Christmas. No matter how much you water it doesn't help with the relentless heat and humidity. Thankfully after the storm last night the humidity abated today but we will see what tomorrow brings. Bring on Autumn!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy it's always interesting what you do with your garden,we are enjoying the wood fire tonight,I hope you had a lovely Easter my friend xx

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Wow you are organised xxxx

River said...

I'm loving the cooler nights, I had to put a blanket on the bed, but sleeping is so much nicer when I'm not tossing and turning trying to find a cool spot.

Sharm said...

I got some peas planted the other day in one bed, and pulled out the last of the tomatoes yesterday! If I were not having to go to work today, I'd be busy making up the last pot of tomato relish! ps..... I love love lists !!