Pages

Friday, April 1, 2016

Five on Friday

A big thank you to Amy for organising Five on Friday. we had a break last week for Easter but it is back, full steam ahead this week. This week I would like to talk about what I miss now that I am a vegetarian. I was thinking about it while I drove to town during the week. I saw a ewe with a tiny lamb at foot and I knew exactly what I miss and it is not meat. Not at all.

The thing I miss the most is having our own baby animals. I know we could still continue to produce lambs and calves but really there is no point for us to do that if we  no longer consume the meat ourselves or  want to sell the animals for slaughter. So for now, I have my grown up sheep and cattle to enjoy and pictures of babies to reminisce over.
 
1.
 
2.
3.
 
4.
 

5.
No picture for the other thing I miss as a vegetarian. It is gravy. I can cook tasty things without meat but there is something unctuous and flavoursome about gravy that is lacking in the vegetarian version. Well there is for me.

Tracy

13 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

So why did you decide to go vegetarian when you grew and ate your own meat?

Chookyblue...... said...

Oh and the babies are just so cute........ We have heaps of black calves around at the moment.....

Lisa said...

Such cute babies. I've seen recipes for rich gravy made with mushrooms, but haven't tried them. Have you?

mamasmercantile said...

I think I would miss gravy too. Have you tried making a variety of sauces these may compensate. Take care.

Tricky Wolf said...

we are really cutting down on meat at the moment and like you we find it's not the meat itself you miss but the flavours and textures that go with it

Amy at love made my home said...

Wonderful to see your little lamb photos, they are always so happy when they are galloping around the fields and climbing over their mothers aren't they. I also have a soft spot for Highland Cattle, so wonderful to see your picture of them too, especially the little baby so pale in colour. I don't like gravy, so if I was a vegetarian I wouldn't miss that, but I would miss bacon which I have heard is the most common thing that vegetarians miss meat wise, but I don't know if that is true or not! Thank you for taking part in Five On Friday, I hope you have a great weekend! xx

Mac n' Janet said...

I think I'd still raise a few critters just as pets.

Deb R said...

Couldn't you make a vegie gravy??? eg roast pumpkin gravy??
Was lovely to finally meet you too!

Joolz said...

Such cute pics of farm babies!
Hey, have you tried making gravy out of Vegemite, butter, flour and water or milk.
I'm sure you'd arrive at a pleasing gravy...

;)

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

What a lovely post, dear Tracy. Your baby animals look really cute.
More vegetarians means a healthier world in many ways. Not all substitutes for meat products taste very good, but I trust more delicious ones will be developed. :)
Have a lovely weekend and enjoy the beautiful autumn days! xx

ellen b said...

Good morning from the Seattle area. Those little lambs and calf is so darn cute. I wont' mention what's marinating in my refrigerator right now. Have a wonderful weekend.

Pat's Patch said...

These are lovely Tracy. Lots of lambs and calves in the fields here. I will have to take my camera out. x

betty-NZ said...

They are just too cute! I never ate lamb until I got to New Zealand but I stopped eating pork because the taste is so different than US pork.