Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

I Love Cooking

I always like cooking and feeding my family and others but at the moment, I am loving it. There is a lot in the garden to be excited about and there is enough left over for preserving for later. I don't buy a lot of new books (well not as many as I would like). When I do buy one It is usually after I have borrowed it from the library and made sure that it is a book that I will use a lot.I used a book gift voucher recently to purchase A Year in a Bottle by Sally Wise. I've already made a number of the recipes up using excess garden produce. Chilli Sauce from the half kilogram of chillies that I picked on Wednesday. It was quick and easy and I cheat by chopping the chillies in the food processor.

My favourite so far has been the Tomato Chilli Pickles. The finished product has a chilli hit without being overpowering and is nice with cheese and crackers but also good for a quick simmer sauce for an Indian style curry.

Another book that I've been using lately is Rachel Grisewood's Manna From Heaven. It is a fun book with great pictures, illustrations and with a story preluding many of the recipes. It is upbeat and just makes you want to get into the kitchen, get cooking and tasting the delicious finished products.


The Tian of Zucchini and Tomato was delicious as a side dish and good as leftovers for lunch the next day.

Chilli Sticks were quick to make in the food processor and are a tasty snack. Rachel suggests them as adult fare but my kids loved them.
As you can see, the kitchen has been productive. Throw honey extraction into the mix as well and everyone is happy.
Bye for now,
Tracy









2 comments:

Paola said...

I love cooking too, and like you, tend to buy cookbooks after I've borrowed them from the library so I can have a good look at them.
Funnily enough, as I type I am making the tomato sauce out of Sally Wise's book. I'll let you know how it goes!
Love those photos too!

Vickie said...

ohh what goodness to ahve in your pantry..now that tomato chilli pickles sounds delish well done I too borrow books when I can to make sure I will get full use out of them before I purchase them,cheers Vickie