Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What I should be doing...


Globe artichoke in flower
is working out in the garden. There is mowing and weeding galore to be done. The recent rains and now warm weather has brought on a flush of growth both wanted and unwanted. The globe artichokes that are left on the plant are starting to display their true thistle nature. They look lovely and have a very delicate perfume but they have to go. They are draining the plant and besides that they are a thistle and have the potential to become a weed if they spread outside the garden.


Corn amongst the weeds
This is one of the beds of sweetcorn. It is hard to find the corn amongst the weeds. It isn't laziness either. I have been busy, it has been too wet and I have been Christmas shopping during the last two days to make sure that when school finishes on Thursday we don't have to be busy.

The end of year always seems to be a busy time anyway. A lot of events scheduled and things to-do. By the end of the week though it will all settle down and we will be in holiday mode. I hope.

Tracy

4 comments:

Blore said...

Holiday mode - can't wait for that to start. I only have 8 more days of work.

Lilbitbrit said...

I have always wanted to grow an artichoke, so I should put that on my list for next year.

I did not know that they were in the thistle family, but seeing the flower makes sense.

There's one thing about winter, practically no gardening.

Christy
Lil Bit Brit

Paola said...

I've finally got a free day, and it's not raining at the moment, so as soon as the kids are on the school bus I'll be heading out for an epic weeding and de-snailing session. The Christmas shopping will have to be done next week..

Jodie said...

That globe artichoke is just gorgeous!!!

You're right, this time of year is 'hectic'... Good on you for trying to get on top of things before school breaks up, you'll be thankful later when you're siting back relaxing and everyone else is tied up in the rat-race..

Hugs - Jodie :)