Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

I need to toughen up

I have once again let the hearstease proliferate in the vegetable garden. It is just so pretty that I can never bear to pull it out so it pops up year after year. It is an easy plant to remove so not a problem really. I have also allowed the lettuce to grow and grow wherever they like. I figure if they self-seed in a spot then it must be the ideal place for them to grow.

I am toughening up though, cosmos are definitely coming out as soon as they show their first little leaves. I know it has a nice flower but it is weedy and a nuisance. Especially in the vegetable garden.


Another prolific seeder that I let go is borage. Yesterday I removed a heap from the paths in the vegetable garden but left these ones alone. The bees are loving them right now so they can stay for now at least. Until I need the space for tomatoes.





The bees were still happily foraging here right up to nightfall and the buzzing was LOUD.




Tracy








6 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, my, Tracy - why do all your "pests" happen to be such appealing plants? Cosmos - I love them! Borage is such a beautiful blue!

Do you have fireflies in Australia, by the way? I would hate to think that you didn't.

Anne said...

Exactly the same in my garden Tracey,
I am really enjoying the heartsease in the lawn this year.

Jeanette said...

I just love heartsease. They are so pretty.

Vickie said...

love your photo's Tracy and that you tell the names as I would have no idea thanks,cheers Vickie

africanaussie said...

so pretty - I would have let them all stay :)

Chookyblue...... said...

I'm behind on this comment but I just refound it and wanted to say I loved the bees on the borage flowers..........