Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Belated Mother's Day

As both Tim and Tom weren't at home on Mother's Day we decided to hold off our family day until yesterday. We went for a sojourn up the mountain to the dam which I like to call "the lake of shining waters". I am an Anne Shirley fan afterall. The weather was what I call just right. Cool and sunny. My parents came along too so it was a nice family day.


I made a lime and coconut cake. I usually leave it uniced but I made the fuss of topping it with some cream cheese frosting and some snapdragons for decoration. I'm glad I did. I'm also glad I made the effort of packing proper plates and cake forks. It made the event feel more like an alfresco morning tea by the lake than just a quick picnic at the dam.





I also gave my mother her Mother's Day gift. A set of 6 quilted placemats. I used random blocks that were tucked away in the sewing cupboard. I thought it would be a quick job to whip them up afterall, the hard part of making the blocks had already been done. Not so. The quilting took ages and many bobbins of thread. I don't want to have to fill another bobbin for a little while especially mid-seam...grrr.




Being away from the computer I have missed the problems that blogger must have been experiencing. Thankfully.


Tracy






2 comments:

Joolz said...

We too had a lovely family day yesterday, for hubbys Mother's 70th Birthday. We dined on some wonderful thick steaks, 3 salads and twice baked potatoes, homemade bread rolls and some very nice red wines. Cappucino cake with marscapone coffee frosting followed very late in the afternoon.
I am pooped today and still need to get the house back in order.

The 'lake of shining waters' sounds like a lovely place to spend the day.

Cheers - Joolz

rosie said...

looks like you had a great time Tracy, that cake looks yummy! Do it gluten-free for me!!