Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Banana Fruit Loaf

You never realise how much you like something until you can't have it.Bananas had been off my shopping list since cyclone Yasi made them unaffordable but they are back in my basket. I have missed them a lot. Bananas are one of the few fruits that I let creep in beyond the local eating parameters. Bananas and mangoes, I just can't say no to them. The availability of the new season fruit and also some stiff competition amongst retailers has even allowed me to buy enough to make a banana fruit loaf. It is sweet and moist but with a little bit of a healthy feel to it because of the fruit. It is a great loaf to serve warm and for those who are wont to, with a little butter. Besides that, it is easy peasy.




Banana Fruit Loaf


Ingredients
2 cups mixed dried fruit
1 cup black tea (I use Chai)
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons honey
2 and 2/3 cups self raising flour


Method
Preheat oven to 180 deg C and grease and line a loaf tin.
Boil the kettle and make two cups of tea, one to drink and one for the cake.
Soak the dried fruit in the tea for about 10 minutes or the time it takes to drink your tea.
Combine all the ingredients together and mix until combined.
Pour mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 65 minutes. It may take a little longer so test the cake with a skewer to see if it is done.
Allow to cool slightly and then turn out onto a wire rack.


As the kids don't particularly like this cake I usually slice it up when it is cool and pack the slices in the freezer separately. That way they can be defrosted and toasted or warmed in the microwave as desired.


Tracy

5 comments:

Phoebe said...

Gosh! I wish I had bananas to make this! Still no nice bananas down south!

Lisa said...

This sounds *very* good! (I had to look Yasi up, as I hadn't heard of it - an awful storm!)

Joolz said...

Hmmm, I am dieting at the moment but I have printed out the recipe to try when I have a naughty moment or maybe I will make it for my Mum for when she goes to one of her 'girls afternoon teas'. Thanks,

Joolz

Bec - Farmers Wife said...

Oh it looks simply irresistable. I will just have to make this one :)

Thanks for sharing your receipe.

Fabafruit said...

Hey nice blog but I am looking for info on Cavendish Banana