Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

Stung


Stung I was on Wednesday. Apparently if I had have stayed calm when the bee flew into my ponytail I might have avoided the sting. Or so Tim says. I haven't been stung by a bee since 2001 so I had forgotten that it does hurt a little bit. You would be forgiven for thinking that if the bee was in my hair that I was stung somewhere on my face or head but no, in my crazy get it off me dance (which was no doubt entertaining to watch) I was stung on the hand. Today I knelt on a stinging nettle and in my opinion that feels worse than a bee sting. Maybe I should stay safely indoors... I don't think so.


I finished off my picnic rug that I am sending to an old friend. It is definitely not an adventurous quilt and really feels a bit like cheating but I'm happy enough with the end result. And who can complain when you can go from having nine fat quarters to a quilt top in a couple of hours.

With all of the busy/ hot work here this week, I haven't even thought about wearing a frock but if I did, I would definitely join Kylie in her quest. Kylie is participating in Frocktober to raise funds to support research into ovarian cancer and by the looks of things she is having a load of fun doing it. I hope you can have a look at her page and leave a comment as a way of support or make a donation to such a worthy cause.
Tracy

8 comments:

Jan said...

Ouch! I was stung once on scalp and also on finger by another bee when we had two hives on our kitchen roof in inner Sydney. Just got my rings off before finger swelled.

We moved our bees to our land at Wollombi and got a few more hives. Lovely honey but my husband became increasing allergic to their stings (and also to leech bites). This made him more nervous, which the bees sensed and we eventually had to get rid of the, With a trip of over an hour to hospital at Cessnock, it wasn't worth the risk.

I'm with you re nettle stings. Apparently nettles grow in what is really very fertile land. We had them everywhere. I was badly stung even through denim when I crawled under the house we built to pack the gaps between some joists and the floor.

A good remedy is to find a young bracken fern, pick it. Split stem with nails and spit on the pulp exposed. Rub on sting. This also works for bull ant stings, but the bracken must be young.

Anonymous said...

oh no thats not good Tracy,hope it feels better soon,we still dont have any bees around that i have noticed so i dont think there will be much fruit on our trees,which makes me sad,have a lovely weekend Tracy.xx

Lilbitbrit said...

Sorry to hear you were stung. I remember when I was stung on the hand it really ached and of course was swollen.

Enjoy Spring.

Take care.

Christy

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Eeeek! I haven't been stung by our bees yet but I'm sure it's coming. I would have freaked out if there was a bee in my hair! That's actually how my husband got his first sting, but his was right on the top of his head. Ouch.

Love the photo of the bee!

Chookyblue...... said...

ouch...........hope you don't swell up too much like I do.....nice picnic rug.........

Fiona said...

ouch... I find they itch like mad afterwards too!!
love your quilt.... no such thing as a cheating quilt... they are supposed to be fun and pretty and yours sure it... love it..
Hugz

Sue Frelick said...

Oi! I know that hurt. I've heard that stinging nettle are incredibly nutritious. Better you bite them than the other way around! :-D

Vickie said...

eeeekkk bee's and me lethal...ouchy stinging needle pains bigtime....that picnic quilt looks beautiful well done..cheers Vickie