Friday, August 29, 2014


The solar panels are up and running and the sun is cooperating too. I'm really happy about it. Greener energy is something I've always wanted to employ. It's one more small step towards making our home more environmentally friendly.

 The wattles are enjoying the sunshine too.
 So are the bees.
Almond in flower
 The almond also.
Almond blossom
But I think I'm going to have to do some hand pollinating just to be sure because there wasn't a bee to be seen on the tree today. I'd grow it just for the blossoms anyway, they are just that pretty.


Sunnybrook Farm said...

You guys are having spring already, so nice to see. Can't afford solar here our government wasted all the money on failed projects and give away schemes to political endeavors. I haven't seen any solar in my area other than a government building. You are in the perfect spot for it.
Happy Spring!

The little book of Nessie said...

Great spring photos Tracy. Your solar panels look good too! Regards, Nessie

Jewells said...

We had solar panels put on a few months ago.. first electricity bill arrived this week since the installation... $106 instead of over $700... I am over the moon!

minwks said...

Good Morning from Tsawwassen - just south of Vancouver BC Canada

Husband and I took a trip to many Western States National Parks recently. We were very interested to see the almond fields that need so many bees to fertilize them that they are shipped from all over the States.
They truly did go on for miles and miles. Boxes lined the fields and we noticed that the beekeepers were supplementing their feeding. Apparently almond nectar is bitter and production of honey is almost non existent, The monoculture and movement of the bees is very hard on them, So what caused me to comment was that I understand that bees do not have a preference for the nectar of almonds. However we do know that they seem to know when the pollen is ready on any plant.

We had three hives come through the winter but collapsed one as it was in great disarray - the Queen may not have been mated properly last year after the first swarm left the hive. This is a 33% loss which seems to be the number throughout BC. Varoa Destructor is a very big problem. We fogged them in January with oxylic acid and they are looking very clean at present but we will have to keep a very close eye on the numbers. We do not want to treat with chemicals either. This is only our third year of beekeeping, We have not taken any honey from the hives as our original nuc split twice last spring,
We have removable bottom boards to facilitate inspection for mites and to allow air flow. Debris can be removed very quickly.
I have been surprised that Australian beekeepers use solid bottom boards.
SHB has been experienced in Washington State so I think it is only a matter of time before we have to add that to the stress on our bees.
All the best. Enjoyed your blog.
Regards Janine
Becalmed Cottage Blog