Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Doing nothing much

This morning I slept in. I was awake at 4:30am when it was time for Tim to get ready for work but I went back to sleep until 8am. It is a rare thing for me. I am and always have been very much a morning person. Up and at 'em before light and asleep by 8:30pm. It is just the way I like it. Today however I have been having a bit of a lazy day and have only done the essentials and taken some time out to peruse the farm and garden and to read too. I am currently reading "The Dirty Life" by Kristen Kimball. It is a book that speaks to me, farming and falling in love all between the covers of one book. What's not to like? This lettuce Freckles is looking lovely. I have seeds for iceberg lettuce and I do grow them and sometimes I even buy them from the shop but I just love the names and variety available to the home gardener. Where else can I have a smorgasbord of lettuce in one salad without a monumental price tag? Different lettuce varieties really do have their own distinct flavour and crunch.


Purple podded peas. These are just coming into bloom and hopefully there will be some little purple pods to bring into the kitchen soon. Peas are one of my favourite vegetables and I am looking forward to them eagerly. This variety even has the added charm of a slight scent to the flowers best described I think as just a hint of sweet pea.




The snow peas while still pretty look to me more like they mean business. They are here to grow and flower and produce delicious pods. This is from a dwarf variety which is currently covered in blooms and some very tiny little pods for those who take the time to look carefully.



The bees never avoid their tasks. Their lives are short so they have no time to waste. Not in a rush but focused on their life's purpose.The rosemary which is covered in flowers seems to be a favoured spot today for some. Where the other thousands visit, I do not know.




So today while am in the process of doing nothing much, I still hope to achieve a little. A restful attitude, a tidy and happy home, some gardening progress and some fun.




Tracy








3 comments:

Lisa said...

Enjoy - no one would ever think you were a lazybones! :)

Cross Stitch Crazy Mum said...

Your veges look gorgeous, you're going to have fun with a lot of harvest :)

Ruth @ Camellia Rose said...

Your peas are far ahead of mine (well, I did only sow the seeds yesterday). I also sowed some Freckles lettuce seeds - I had it in the garden a couple of years ago and it seemed to last quite well in the summer heat. Bring on summer salad weather...